Tuesday, November 2, 2010

New Program, New Coach - Heidi Armstrong, Building for the Volleyball Future

This past summer, Cayuga Community College welcomed another sports team to its athletic department --women’s volleyball. The addition brings the total number of collegiate teams to 10.

“The college’s athletic and admissions departments received a number of interest inquiries for volleyball in the past.” said athletic director Pete Liddell. “We believe we had a base of players that would be interested in playing.”

With enough interest, the athletic department requests budgetary funds from both the college and Faculty-Student Association. The Faculty-Student Association is responsible for funding the athletic programs. Next, it must be evident that athletics can provide adequate facilities to sponsor the programs. Once the criteria are approved, the last and final step is to find a qualified coach.

Enter first-year head coach Heidi Armstrong. Armstrong, a Solvay, N.Y., native, has grown up around the game of volleyball since she was in diapers.

“When I was little, some of the top volleyball players from Solvay -- two of them were sisters-- actually babysat me in the fire department.” said Armstrong. “They always talked about volleyball.”

However, Armstrong -- a multi-sport athlete -- participating in softball, basketball and track and field, didn’t really think about playing the sport until former varsity head volleyball coach Carol Moss approached her.

“She approached me and said, ‘Hey, try out for volleyball in seventh grade’ to get started in modified sports,” said Armstrong. “I really fell in love with it. It was a whole different sport. I could jump, I was quick-footed and I got the moves down easily.”

Throughout Armstrong’s playing career at Solvay, she received tutelage from one of the games finest in Moss. Moss established the Solvay volleyball program as a perennial powerhouse, always battling with another familiar Class B foe -- Marcellus.

“We were expected to go to sectionals every year.” said Armstrong. “She was a coach that had very high expectations. You knew when you did something wrong because you saw it on her face.”

Through her high school playing days to the start of her volleyball college career, Armstrong flourished under her coaches Dani Drews and Pat Hanlon at Division III SUNY Oswego. Armstrong found herself on the SUNYAC All-Star teams during her four years there as well as the record holder for career kills.

“Coach (Drew) knew Solvay’s program and actually had a couple of Solvay girls go through her program.” said Armstrong. “She knew how well Carol taught defense and the basics of the game.”

“She always attended all the Solvay games to grab more girls because they were so successful for her at Oswego.”
Besides volleyball, Armstrong was a dual-athlete participating in track and field.

“I didn’t really think of doing track and field in college, but the coach went to many of my volleyball games in college.” said Armstrong. “I’m glad I did it, I liked it.”

Armstrong was equally successful in track and field, holding five school records in the pentathlon, heptathlon, shot put, weight throw and javelin.

“Track and field is a whole different sport from volleyball,” said Armstrong, “you are on a team but you train yourself under coach’s guidance. Your success depends on yourself where a team’s success does not depend on yourself; the entire team needs to be on.”

Fast-forward to now, Armstrong has wrapped up the inaugural volleyball season with an overall 2-16 record. Her outstanding work ethic as a student-athlete has only transcended onto the court. She has infused her players with the same mentality.

“When I was an athlete I was very focused,” said Armstrong, “I would always be training and lifting and running, just to be that better athlete. I figured my high expectations would be better off working with a college program than a high school program. I would see more results and I could make them better.”

“Seeing them progress from day one as we went through the season they were getting better every day.” said Armstrong, “They worked for me. I’ll admit, I am a tough coach. From day one, I told them they were going to be in shape if nothing else. I could have the most talented athlete in the world but if you are not shape, you are no good to me. The respect that they gave me, they reciprocated it. They didn’t give up in games.”

Liddell agrees.

“Coach Armstrong impressed me right away in the no-nonsense approach she brings to organizing her team in practice and getting student-athletes to buy into working hard and improving.” said Liddell. “She was able to come in last minute and pull a team together. She kept them focused and challenged them on a day-to-day basis. It was evident that the players respected her efforts, knowledge, and had a positive relationship with their coach.”

Although its record may not indicate much success, Armstrong has goals in mind and remains highly optimistic for next season.

“My goals for next year are to beat OCC (Onondaga Community College),” said Armstrong, “just beating them right there, that’s a goal I have. My second goal is to be better in our conference (Mid-State Athletic Conference) and having an intimidating program that when you go into a tournament, a game situation, you know you aren’t the underdog. You know you have the talent, the skills, the drive compete with the other team.”

Time will only tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment