Thursday, September 16, 2010

I am no fashionista when it comes to picking an outfit out for work. I have been known to “accidentally” wear my Nike socks instead of dress socks. My color schemes would make some people think I’m color-blind. My taste in shoes ranks right up there with my mother’s. Fashion Police’s Joan Rivers would just look at me, shake her head, and say, “Honey, you are a lost cause.” Yes, I may need a little more help than other women when it comes to deciphering what’s hot and what is SO last year (shout out to my stylists Ashley and Samantha), but there is no mistaking dressing professionally to that of club-hopping threads.

Ines Sainz, a reporter for Mexico’s Azteca, was subjected to catcalls and whistling from both on the field and in the locker room at Jets practice last Saturday. Sainz was working on a story about quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Instead of digesting and breaking down the Jets 10-9 loss against the Baltimore Ravens the day after, sports networks and talk-radio were buzzing about the former Miss. Spain turned “reporter” choice of attire.

After reading numerous articles, commentaries and opinions, I, too, have formed my own take on the situation. A 23-year old female trying to break into an already challenging journalism field, I rely on my professionalism, preparedness and knowledge (in this case sports) to do my job and/or task. In a field dominated by men, women have to work just as hard, if not harder to achieve the level of success of our male counterparts. If that means researching, reading and exhausting our sources to be better prepared for an interview then so be it.

As the lone female contributing sports writer for Gannon University’s newspaper- The Gannon Knight- I knew the only way to earn respect was through my writing. I learned quickly being around the fellas that it helps to have a sharp tongue and thick skin. Two crucial prerequisites for the job.

Sainz is not a victim. I don’t feel bad for her. However, the “hottest sports reporter in Mexico” isn’t the only one at fault. Azteca is, too. In a Good Morning America interview with George Stephanopoulos, Sainz stated that she has had the same style since she started in the business nine years ago. Clearly, Azteca is content with her as sideline eye candy. And it appears that Sainz has no problem using her sex appeal to launch her career and celebrity status either.

She would be naïve to think that what she wore into the Jets locker room wouldn’t stir the pot. The NFL is only getting younger. Egos flood the locker rooms, testosterone is flowing and crude communication is a common occurrence. It is human nature for a male to occasionally have his eyes wonder. Male professional athletes are no different.

I don’t believe this is a setback for young women aspiring to be in the media business, but a lesson to be learned of what not to do when it comes to professionalism and how you want to be perceived.

1 comment:

  1. I can't resist the urge to at least respond with a short quote that I find to be very pertinent:
    "Mr. Harken, this city needs its news. And you are going to deprive them of that because I have breasts? Exquisite breasts? Now, I am gonna go on, and if you want to try and stop me, bring it on. Because I am good at three things: Fighting, screwing, and reading the news. I've already done one of those today, so what's the other one gonna be? Huh?"

    ReplyDelete