Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Super Bowl XLV Recap

Via the Erie Reader

For three consecutive road playoff games, I have retreated upstairs to my room to watch the Green Bay Packers.

By myself, with no interruptions.

On Sunday night, I took a risk, bundled up and walked down the street to my uncle and aunt’s house to watch Super Bowl XLV.

“If things start to get bad,” I said, guzzling a glass of wine, “I’m going home.”

“Just sip your wine and sit down,” my grandfather said, “Get comfortable, you’re not going anywhere.”

I sat in a black office chair for the entire game. I cheered, I cursed, I screamed, I bit my nails down to nothing.

For the entire week, I kept a deep, dark secret to myself: I had doubt that my beloved Green Bay Packers wouldn’t get it done against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Any fan would say that’s blasphemy, I say it’s realistic thinking.

With 1 minute, 59 seconds left to go in the fourth quarter, Pittsburgh got the ball back on its 13-yard line, desperately needing a touchdown. Pittsburgh pushed it to its own 33-yard line, but Green Bay’s defense forced Roethlisberger to make three consecutive incomplete passes.

No matter how in-depth analysts get, no one can predict turnovers. The Steelers committed three costly ones. Despite the valiant second-half comeback by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, it was not enough as Green Bay defeated the Steelers 31-25.

Poor execution: I was stunned how poorly the two-minute drill was executed by Pittsburgh. You can blame it on the quarterback, the offensive coordinator or the head coach, but in the end, this is not what a so-called ‘experienced’ football team should be showcasing. Roethlisberger, unfortunately, picked the wrong day to have a bad game.

Mike Tomlin, one classy guy: Tomlin came right out and said there were no excuses for how his team played. Pittsburgh just didn’t get it done.

"What I will do is say Green Bay played a pretty good game and made the necessary plays to be world champions."

Class act.

Green Bay’s offense: Aaron Rodgers finished the game with 304 yards, three touchdowns and named the game’s Most Valuable Player. In just his third season as a starter, Rodgers has emerged as a quarterback wise beyond his years.

The offensive game plan for Green Bay was simple: Spread the field, take Troy Polamalu out of the game.

Mission accomplished.

Polamalu finished with just three tackles, no sacks. The Defensive Player of the Year was an absolute non-factor.

Let’s just stop comparing Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers: Comparing these two quarterbacks is like comparing apples to oranges. I’m going to leave it at that.

With the 2010-11 season in the books, there is a more serious matter to attend – The Collective Bargaining Agreement between players and owners.

The hope is that both sides come to a mutual agreement and meet somewhere in the middle. If and when that happens remains unknown.

However, after this year’s Super Bowl, how can anyone entertain the thought of no football?

No comments:

Post a Comment