Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday Sound Off: A look at today's NFL playoff games

As many of you know, I have been a long-time Green Bay Packers fan. I have bled green and yellow since my mother introduced me to the game of football at a young age. She, too, is a Packers fan. Like mother, like daughter, I guess. As I grew older, I began to familiarize myself with the iconic history. To this day I still believe Brett Favre is a Packer and refuse to hear anything else. I was surprised when Al Harris was released to the Miami Dolphins this season. Reggie White and Antonio Freeman remain my favorites. “When Pride Still Mattered: Lombardi” is the next book in line. (I have been on a politics kick lately.)

I will be watching the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers game at my cousin’s house with some of the guys later this afternoon. We all have something in common: We detest the Steelers. Afterwards, I will walk back up to my house, put my Green Bay pajamas on and watch the game from the confines of my own house. By myself. Why change it up now?

Just like last weekend's thrillers, I think we are in for another treat. One thing is for sure, entertainment won't be an issue.

Baltimore Ravens at the Pittsburgh Steelers:

Over the course of the week, I’ve heard and read about countless statistics on this particular match up. Both teams finished the regular season 12-4 and have combined for 27 points-a-piece. In the 17 meetings since 2003, the Ravens and Steelers have each scored 302 points. Statistics don’t mean anything at this stage of the game. The most intriguing storyline is the amount of respect that these two teams have for each other may outweigh the hate by a very small margin. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still going to be your classic clash of the titans match up.

There are two factors that will determine this game: Quarterback play and which team will have the ball last.

Joe Flacco vs. Ben Roethlisberger: Flacco is 0-5 against Roethlisberger. There is no question that Roethlisberger is the one QB people would take if they had to choose between the two. The Steelers QB has two Super Bowl rings and has shown time in and time out that down the stretch he can get the job done. However, I’m going to take Flacco in this match up. If Flacco wins on Saturday he will have captured his third playoff win. With two highly stout defenses, throwing the ball is going to be crucial. The run game will factor to some degree, but I don’t see it making a profound impact. I think Flacco gets his first win against Roethlisberger.

Prediction: Ravens 17-14

Green Bay Packers at the Atlanta Falcons:

There is no question the Green Bay Packers are on a roll and riding the momentum wave. While momentum is a factor, let’s give credit where credit is due: Head coach Mike McCarthy and his staff. With countless injuries, McCarthy has found out how to get the most out of his players and maximize their talents to fit the game plan accordingly.

With the emergence of a running game, the Packers have found another offensive weapon in James Starks and another dimension of its game that has otherwise been a problem throughout the season. Starks torched the Eagles defense with 123 yards. Hopefully, for the Packer’s sake, the running game is not smoke and mirrors.

Last weekend’s 21-16 win at Philadelphia, the defense – once again – came up big for the Packers. I said in last Friday’s USTREAM broadcast that in order to be successful the defense would need to contain Michael Vick in the pocket. Mission accomplished. Vick and the Eagles were held to 81 yards on the ground. The Packers defense will have another challenge in rising quarterback star Matt Ryan and the one-two punch of Michael Turner and Roddy White. I look for Packers cornerback Tramon Williams to play a role in blanketing White.

Prediction: Green Bay 24-21

No comments:

Post a Comment