Friday, August 27, 2010

Tully's Tenders, Pizza and Pigskin

Armed with nothing but a large cheese pizza from Velasko’s Deli and my knowledge of the National Football League (NFL), I entered Thursday night’s Fantasy Football draft confident that I could hold my own.

New to the fantasy draft war room, I decided it was best that I take baby steps and team up with my fiancé. Now the general managers of the “Alexsiders” (move over Bradgelina), we carefully crafted a strategy before the 7p.m. start time. The selection went as is: two quarterbacks, two running backs, two wide receivers, two receivers and/or tight ends, kicker and a defense. I began to put my lists together when I noticed quick glances in my direction. You know those what-is-this-girl-doing-here? glances. I didn’t hold it against them. I was the only girl in a room filled with 11 guys and clearly that was the last thing they expected was a 23-year old female who was a football enthusiast. I would slowly but surely earn their respect. And I did. I think.

Notching the seventh overall pick via playing cards, Wes took the lead roll of announcing our picks, consulting me for any up-to-date injury information and player news and notes. Although I wasn’t able to snag more Green Bay talent, I was satisfied with how our roster was shaping up.

As the draft continued on, I digested and processed the other guys’ picks and at times, thought: “What the hell is he thinking?” or “Damn, why didn’t I think of him?” It wasn’t until my cousin decided to make some questionable picks at the wide receiver position with T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Braylon Edwards and Terrell Owens that I had to speak up.

“Mike, did you know T.J. is coming back from a sports hernia?” I said, “That’s a bitch of an injury. Plus, he is on the decline as a receiver.”

“Oh really? I’m going to have to check that out when I get home,” he said. “Are you sure?”

“Pretty positive. (Deion) Branch and him are coming off injuries,” I said, “Golden Tate might slide in.”

Out of his three picks, Owens was the only legitimate pick I somewhat approved of. I see Owens and QB Carson Palmer building on their chemistry even more as the season progresses. Receptions will favor Owens over Braylon in this situation.

The night ended with a brief recap and the last-minute devouring of Tully’s tenders, pizza, ice cream cake and chips and salsa.

Just as I was about to doze off, I received a text from Mike, “I just checked online, T.J. played in their last two preseason games lol…just checked a lil while ago…watch out 4 hushhhhhh!”

At least he was concerned about the advice I had given him.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Stina. Very well written and way to stand your own! Can't wait to hear if your picks work out for you.

    ReplyDelete